Monday, May 25, 2015

Ataturk Mausoleum (Ankara, Turkey)

While leaving the train waggon from Izmir on his last stop in Ankara, the first thing I noticed were some very tall buildings, skyscrapers, wide roads and vast of asphalt all around the city! I thought to myself that I never imagined Ankara on this way while I was moving in direction of the nearest Ulus metro station from where I should go to the next hostel place near Kizilay. Wherever you are in Turkey it is almost impossible to skip observation how people are grateful to Atatürk (father of the modern Turkish nation). Perhaps this pride can be the best seen here in Ankara as every second skyscraper, house or regular building wearing the flag with Atatürk's picture and Turkish symbols on it.

Next to The Ulus Station by Igor L.
(Next to The Ulus Station, Ankara)
Photo taken by Igor L.

Kizilay could be eventually called center of the city and essentially in addition to numerous cafes, nice pedestrian baazar and many small shops it is not so much different from the rest of the Ankara. Nearby is also located a bus station for the public transport which will easily bring you to any part of the city for a cheap price. That day at the local university in Ankara (sorry I forgot its name) was held a special festival so I managed with the help of Turkish friends to visit students which are representing different sport, technical, science, artistic but and all other kinds of activities in their departments. After cup of black tea inside university caffee, students took me up to famous stadium where under the seats is written word DEVRIM. They explained to me that it has to dill with a certain revolution which dating back all the way to 1968 year but I did not find out any more details about event.

Ataturk Mausoleum in Ankara by Igor L.
(Ataturk Mausoleum, Ankara)
Photo taken by Igor L.

Yet not to be fussy Ankara in addition to skyscrapers have indeed many great cultural and historical content as it is the case for example with Atatürk mausoleum. Besides being a great general and reformer, Atatürk made from Turkey a better place for living, giving the many freedoms which people do not had during the past Ottoman periodThis mausoleum in Ankara was erected in Atatürk honor after his death and his remains now resting in building which you can see on the picture. I can freely say that this is one of the most beautiful historical museums I've ever visited with a great concept of paintings, weapons, maps, data and other stuffs so it has a huge recommendation to all of you who planing to eventually travel into Ankara and Turkey.

View on Hisar Castle Area by Igor L.
(View on Hisar Castle Area, Ankara)
Photo taken by Igor L. 

Among the other museums that I visited in Ankara I would especially like to note Museum of Anatolian Civilizations. Moving through the different years from prehistoric times you can see how people in Anatolia have developed together with their religion beliefs, art, manufacturing skills and tools which they used for farming or other manual works. Still under the large impression of unusual sculptures and explanations which I found interesting in the museum, I went on a small walk through the Hisar area, first to the castle and then heading to a little shops next to the road in nice old renovated district which can only give a frame of idea how Ankara had looked in some past times. In the meantime, I found the postcards that I bought and which I sent to a different addresses around the world while I was going back to the train station in the local post office.

No comments:

Post a Comment